I want to begin a 7 part series today about how to live the supernatural life that God has called us to.
We are busy with a series on the gifts of the Spirit in our local church and I have been part of the preaching team. So I thought it would be nice to share the content of my talk over seven days.
When we talk about the gifts of the Spirit, we are really dealing with the subject of the supernatural. Most people are uncomfortable with anything that is not natural. But if we are going to get it (how to walk in the Spirit)– if we are going to catch onto this – if we are going to participate in this – we are going to have to embrace the supernatural.
For most people supernatural is not normal.
So I decided to look up what it means to be normal and I found “a detailed guide on how to be normal”.
I extracted the following few bits from this piece:
In order to be considered normal you should try and ensure you:
- Don’t make a mess when you eat. (sorry but my wife is out)
- Don’t make gross noises (sorry my son of 22 is out).
- Keep up with fashion trends (I am out, as I am not exactly an icon of fashion).
- Eat mostly healthy foods (my daughter eats McDonald’s after a late night out- so she’s out).
- Get plenty of exercise (80% of you are out, if you are not already out based on the above four points).
- Don’t waste time worrying about others’ opinions. (That’s everyone else)
I can conclude – the people reading this today, are NOT NORMAL. But not for the reason you think.
What is normal? Are Christians normal?
We are supernatural
Here’s what the Bible says Christians are like
- We participate in the Divine nature 2 peter 1: 4
- We walk by faith not by sight 2 Corinthians 5:7
- We are a brand new creation 2 Corinthians 5:17
- We are in the world not but we are not of the world John 17:16
- We can do ALL things through Christ Philippians 4:13
- We hear and know the voice of God
- God’s law is written on our hearts Jer 31:33
- God has revealed his son in us Galatians 1:16
- It is normal to prophesy – we should in fact be eager to prophesy 1 Corinthians 14:39
- It is normal to speak in tongues – 1 Corinthians 14:40
- We are clothed with the Lord Romans 13:14
- Our bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit
I could go on and on, but if you read the above, you will understand that this is not describing what the average person would call normal.
We are designed to be two in one. You and I are natural because we exist in body form like everyone else. But when we became reborn in Jesus, we became something very different. We became supernatural.
Did you know that you are supernatural. You are – if you are Christ’s follower and if you have received Jesus as Saviour. In the next few days I will look at a number of practical steps that we can take to live supernaturally.