If the Bible had to be turned into a movie, and every scene was filmed as it is described in the Bible, there would be an age restriction of 18 V, S. The Bible describes hundreds of very violent scenes. Many of these were war related, but many of them were inter-personal violence, rape and abuse. Some of you are sitting there saying “Really? I never knew that.”
Violence is prevalent everywhere in the world today, as it has been since the inception of man. Remember that the first two sons of Adam and Eve ended up with one of them murdering the other. Why is there so much violence? Well, this is due to the immensely sinful nature of mankind, and the corruption of our souls. God is a God of love, and violence is a crime of hate. This is driven by the devil, as he is always aiming to corrupt good and make it bad. Here are some incredible statistics about teenage violence:
- Nearly 1.5 million high school students nationwide experience physical abuse from a dating partner in a single year.
- One in three adolescents in the U.S. is a victim of physical, sexual, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner, a figure that far exceeds rates of other types of youth violence.
- One in 10 high school students has been purposefully hit, slapped or physically hurt by a boyfriend or girlfriend.
- One quarter of high school girls have been victims of physical or sexual abuse.
- Approximately 70% of college students say they have been sexually coerced
Cyber Bullying (source – iSafe Foundation)
- Over half of adolescents and teens have been bullied online, and about the same number have engaged in cyber bullying.
- More than 1 in 3 young people have experienced cyber threats online.
- Over 25 percent of adolescents and teens have been bullied repeatedly through their cell phones or the Internet.
- Well over half of young people do not tell their parents when cyber bullying occurs.
U.S. Teen Violence Statistics
In a 2009 study of youth in grades 9-12:
- 11.1% reported being in a physical fight on school property in the preceding 12 months.
- 7.7% reported being threatened or injured with a weapon on school property during the preceding 12 months.
- 19.9% reported having been bullied on school property in the preceding twelve months.
- Juveniles accounted for 16% of all violent crime arrests and 26% of all property crime arrests in 2008.
The above make for some sad reading. Emotional violence in the form of cyber bullying is one of the greatest threats to teenagers today. How many families have lost children to suicide due to this curse of the devil?
The problem is that we are far from God, when we act like this. God is LOVE! And all those who love Jesus, also love the Father. Jesus said that he is changing things up. He said that he is giving mankind a new set of laws. That does not mean the 10 commandments no longer count, because they do. But Jesus said he is giving us a new commandment: to love God with all our heart and soul and mind, and then to love our neighbour as our-self. If you do this, you will fulfill the whole law.
If you are a victim of abuse or violence of any sort at home or at school, please tell an adult. Tell a parent or if your parents are the ones doing or allowing the violence, tell your pastor. I pray that you know God because we can share all our problems with him and He cares for us.